Daily Miracle: On a Train Ride in Sweden

































This weeks miracle tales is from fellow travel blogger, Kelly Duhigg from the blog Girl With the Passport. Kelly's sweet yet profound view of the world will take you on a journey of this not so ordinary female solo traveller. 

Such is the daily miracle of today, a daily miracle all about empathy and making new friends when you least expect but when you most need it. Sometimes while on a train's platform when most of us seek to ignore others such is our rush, sometimes to nowhere. Are we ignoring potential friends? Or soul sisters? Who knows! Read on and tell me what do you think.

'Often times, we are consumed by the challenges of everyday life. We focus only on completing our never ending “to do list” and miss out on all the little miracles that unfold, right before our eyes. We become blinded by a blanket of negativity, which accompanies us on our travels.

And I know this is true for me because I can easily recall all the trips that were “total disasters”, but have a difficult time remembering all the times that a stranger was unnecessarily kind to me, and completely changed my trip. It is so natural for me to whine and complain about all the times that my travel itinerary did not go according to plan. But the reality is that there are so many more times, when total disaster was averted and everything went even better than I expected.

I can’t forget these miracles because this is where the joy of living comes from. If I cherish these moments, I can find gratitude for loving and enjoy the true light of the human spirit; rather than become consumed by the darkness within some lost souls.

For me, the miracle that brings the most to into my heart is my experience on an overnight train in Sweden. I was in Stockholm, Sweden, alone, for the Christmas holidays, but wanted to head up North, to check out the Northern Lights and tour the world’s biggest Ice Hotel. Originally, I had wanted to spend a night in the Ice Hotel, but it was all booked for the holidays, so I settled for a tour instead.

Well, as I was waiting on the train platform, for a train that seemed like it would never come, I met this lovely woman named Danielle. We chatted for a bit because let’s be honest, what else can you do when you are freezing to death but know your train will come any minute?

And the more we spoke, the more I realized that we had so many things in common. Not only were we both from the United States, but she actually grew up in New York, which is where I was born and live now. With the commonality to solidify our fast friendship, we reminisced about all the great food and lovely sites that New York has to offer.

But our conversation was cut short as the train lethargically, pulled into the station. I prepared to part ways with my new found friend, by gicing her an enormous bear hug, when she asked, “Where are you staying?” I proceeded to tell her about my tale of woe and how I had wanted to stay in the Ice Hotel but couldn’t because it was fully booked.

Without missing a beat, she invited me to stay with her in her Ice Hotel room since she was traveling alone and could use her company. I was shocked that she invited but I was also eternally grateful. Her kindness and generosity made me feel truly loved, and reminded me of the pure goodness that many people have within. And I needed that because this was a time in my life where I was feeling very empty and totally alone. 

Happily,  I took her up on her offer and I can report that we had a fantastic time hanging out at the ice bar, grabbing dinner, preparing for the coldest night of our lives, and just basically having a ton of fun. Without Danielle, my trip to Sweden just wouldn’t have been the same. She single-handedly turned a good trip into a fantastic trip, and I can never repay her for that. But I will sure try, since we still chat and plan on vacationing together, in the future.'

Did you enjoyed this story and want to share yours? Just send it to blogamniotico@gmail.com :)


Esta semana o milagre diario é da blogger de viagens, Kelly Duhigg do blogue Girl With the Passport. Kelly tem uma visao doce no entanto profunda do mundo leva-o numa jornada desta não tão comum viajante a  solo feminina. 

O milagre diário de hoje, é um milagre diário sobre empatia e fazer novos amigos quando menos esperamos, mas quando mais precisamos. Às vezes, numa plataforma de comboios, quando a maioria de nós procuramos ignorar os outros tal é a nossa pressa, as vezes para nenhures. Estaremos a ignorar potenciais amigos? Ou irmãs da alma? Leia e diga-me o que você acha.

'Muitas vezes, somos consumidos pelos desafios da vida quotidiana. Concentramos-nos apenas em completar a nossa "lista de tarefas" sem fim e perder todos os pequenos milagres que se desenrolam, mesmo diante dos nossos olhos. Ficamos cegos por um manto de negatividade, que nos acompanha em nossas viagens.

Isto é verdade para mim, porque eu consigo lembrar-me facilmente de todas as viagens que foram "desastres totais", mas tenho dificuldade de relembrar todas as vezes que um estranho foi desnecessariamente gracioso para comigo, o que mudou completamente a minha viagem. É tão natural para mim lamentar e reclamar sobre todas as vezes que o meu itinerário de viagem não ir de acordo com o plano. Mas a realidade é que há muitas mais vezes, quando o desastre total foi evitado e tudo correu ainda melhor do que eu esperava.

Não posso esquecer esses milagres porque é aí que vem a alegria de viver. Se eu aprecio esses momentos, posso encontrar gratidão por amar e desfrutar da verdadeira luz do espírito humano; Em vez de me consumir pela escuridão dentro de algumas almas perdidas.

Para mim, o milagre que mais traz ao meu coração é a minha experiência numa viagem nocturna de comboio na Suécia. Eu estava em Estocolmo, Suécia, sozinha, para as férias de Natal, mas queria dirigir-me ao norte, para ver as luzes do norte (aurora boreal) e visitar o maior hotel de gelo do mundo. Originalmente, queria para passar uma noite no hotel de gelo, mas lotado e entao optei por uma tour/passeio. 

No final estava pronta para partir, e estava eu a espera na plataforma por um comboio que parecia que nunca chegar. Foi ai que conheci uma mulher encantadora chamada Danielle. Conversamos um pouco, porque vamos ser honestos, o que mais se pode fazer quando se esta a morrer de frio mas sabemos que o nosso comboio virá a qualquer minuto?

E quanto mais falávamos, mais eu percebia que tínhamos tantas coisas em comum. Não só éramos ambas dos Estados Unidos, ela crescera em Nova York, que é onde eu nasci e vivo actualmente. Com tudo o que tínhamos em comum, a nossa amizade se ia solidificando ali naquela plataforma enquanto relembrávamos locais encantadores de Nova York. 

Mas a nossa conversa foi interrompida quando o comboio inoportunamente, entrou na estação. Preparei-me para me separar da minha nova amiga, dando-lhe um enorme abraço, quando ela me perguntou: "Onde é que vais ficar?" Contei-lhe sobre a  minha triste desventura e de como queria ficar no Hotel do gelo mas que não poderia porque estava totalmente reservado.

Sem perder tempo, convidou-me para ficar com ela no seu quarto de hotel de gelo, já  que a viajar sozinha e dava-lhe jeito companhia. Fiquei chocada, por ela me convidar, e eu também estava completamente grata. A sua bondade e generosidade fez-me sentir verdadeiramente amada, e me lembrou a bondade pura que muitas pessoas têm dentro de si Eu precisava disso mesmo porque este era um momento na minha vida onde eu estava me sentindo muito vazia e totalmente sozinha.

Felizmente, eu aceitei a sua oferta e posso contar que passamos um tempo fantástico juntas no bar de gelo, ao jantar, e enquanto preparava-mo-nos para a noite mais fria de nossas vidas, e basicamente tendo uma tonelada de diversão. Sem Danielle, a minha viagem à Suécia não seria a mesma. So ela, transformara uma boa viagem simples numa viagem fantástica, e eu nunca poderei retribuir mas vou tentar, uma vez que ainda hoje falamos e planeamos umas férias juntas em breve.'

Gostou desta história e quero compartilhar a sua? Basta enviá-lo para blogamniotico@gmail.com :)






amniotico

Sónia is the founder and writer of Amniotico- Parenting, Travel and Tales. She began this blog in 2005 with two posts about parenting, the year she had daughter Francisca. Then life happened. Now since 2014 with a whole new focus on Parenting and Travel. Sonia is also an international Human Rights and Elections expert and as such has worked with the United Nations and European Union in many parts of the globe, including conflict and war torn countries while being a single mom!