Daily Miracle: Healing from Sexual Harassment

The daily miracle today, is a reminder that from the worst experiences, one can come out stronger, empowered even if those experiences were meant to humiliate. Many women face serious sexual harassment and assault, in their work environment. This is not OK! It is also an absurd being laid off after speaking out against it. While the perpetrators move from one office to another, relocating the sexual harassment with them. Todays' daily miracle is a testament of a woman's will to over come it and how life and her own will power,  has allowed her to heal and move on. 

This is the story of Penelopi, this blogger from Greece is behind Maninio | Vegetarian Food and Travel stories by a HunGreek. Her blog is all about balance, talking about Healthy, Balanced Food, Travel stories and her transition experiences from obesity to a healthy lifestyle, and you need to check it out!!



'I was an expat working as a construction mechanical engineer and I was happy with my job. I was new to the site and the senior mechanical engineer was very friendly with me. In the beginning he was making jokes, inviting me for lunch breaks and was around me for the most time. At first I thought that he was acting just very friendly and nothing more. Day by day his comments started to become sexually offensive and he started to slightly touch me in different parts of my body.  I tried to ignore him as much as possible and made it clear that I was not interested in his advances. This continued for quite a while. The big part of it, happened while I was on vacation. He was texting me daily with all those disgusting and over the line messages. I could not take it any more.

As soon as I returned back from my holidays, I printed all his messages and went straight to the general Manager. A week later, his attitude completely changed! He stopped all the innuendos, annoying and disgusting but started to treat me like a servant. Very bossy, very arrogant and very rude! Towards the end of this week from hell, my company transferred him to another project.  

When my project finalised, I had to move to the next one, where the creepy guy was there! (Unfortunately, they did not have any other project to put me on). Before the end of my project, they called me in to inform me of my dismissal from work! 

I was heartbroken, devastated, very angry and very sad. The reason they gave me was irrelevant to the sexual harassment story. Of course, I did not believe it. Adding to this my 25 years old cousin, who was very close to me, passed away and I was totally in grief yet I could not attend the funeral back home. I was an expat, and I could not leave the country and the job I was in, because of my one month notice since my dismissal. 

I spent a horrible last month at work. After returning home, I had no appetite for anything, except to apply for jobs because I had to find a new placement. Then, after 3 months of searching, I gave up and decided to go for a trip alone. I decided to go to an Ashram in India for 3 weeks. My first solo trip ever and life changing indeed! 

Suddenly something happened! Eight hours before my flight, I received an email for a job interview, but I had to inform them about my current status and that I was on my way to the airport. They agreed to have the interview as soon as I come back from my travels. 

During my time in that Ashram in India, my whole attitude towards my current life changed. I spent 3 weeks stress free, relaxed and I realised a lot of things that I was not aware of before. I returned back a whole new person; I had the interview and got the job in one of the most reputable and best companies around the world for my line of work, where I worked for almost 6 years. 

My daily miracle? The miracle was realising that if that guy had not existed in my life(as bad as it was!) and I had not been laid off, maybe I would have not had the chance to visit that serene place in India, to find my self and get the job right after! This miracle happened for a reason! :)' 

Did you enjoyed this story and want to share yours? Just send it to blogamniotico@gmail.com :)




O milagre diário, hoje, é um lembrete de que a partir das piores experiências, podemos sair mais fortes e mais empoderadas. Mesmo aqueles momentos de humilhação pessoal. Muitas mulheres enfrentam graves ataques de assédio sexual e até mesmo agressão no seu ambiente de trabalho. Isto não esta certo! Também é um absurdo ser-se despedida por falar sobre o assunto. Enquanto os agressores se deslocam de um escritório para outro, levando o assédio sexual com eles mas deixando marcas.  O milagre diário de hoje é um testemunho da vontade de uma mulher para superar tudo isto e como a vida e  a sua própria força de vontade, lhe permitiu curar e seguir em frente.

Esta é a história de Penelopi, esta blogger da Grega está por trás Maninio | Vegetarian Food and Travel stories by a HunGreek. No seu blog é tudo uma questão de equilíbrio, falando de vida saudável, alimentação equilibrada, histórias de viagens e sua transição de obesidade a um estilo de vida saudável, e você precisa fazer de o descobrir!

'Estava a trabalhar fora como engenheira de construção mecânica e estava feliz com o meu trabalho. Eu era nova o local  e o engenheiro mecânico superior era sempre muito simpático comigo. Muito. No início ele fazia piadas, convidava-me para almoçar ou para pausas e estava perto de mim a maior parte do tempo. No início eu pensei que ele estava apenas agindo de forma amigável e nada mais. Todos os dias os seus comentários iam escalando de teor sexual e muito ofensivos, para logo depois começar a tocar ligeiramente em diferentes partes do meu corpo. Tentei ignorar e deixar bem claro tanto quanto possível que não estava interessada em seus avanços. Mas isto continuou por um longo período. A maior parte aconteceu enquanto eu estava de férias. Ele enviava-me mensagens diariamente com repugnantes textos de teor sexual. Eu já não aguentava mais. Assim que regressei de férias, eu imprimi todas as mensagens e fui falar directamente com a gerência geral. Uma semana depois, a sua atitude mudou completamente e ele parou com todas as bocas sexuais, irritantes e desagradáveis ​​mas começou a tratar-me como uma serva. Muito arrogante e muito rude! No final desta semana infernal,  a empresa transferi-o para outro projecto.

Quando o meu projecto terminou, eu tive que mudar para o próximo e la esta ele também! (Infelizmente, eles não tinham qualquer outro projecto onde colocar-me). Antes do final do projecto, chamaram-me para informar-me de que seria dispensada do projecto! Fiquei de coração partido, Devastada, zangada e muito triste. A razão que me deram era totalmente irrelevante para a história de  assédio sexual. Claro, que eu não acreditei. Para piorar a minha prima de apenas 25 anos de idade e que me era muito próxima, falecera.  Infelizmente devido a minha situação e por ter de dar um mês a casa não pude ir  ao funeral.

Passei um último mês horrível no trabalho. Depois quando acabou, fiquei por um tempo em casa sem apetite para nada a não ser para me candidatar a empregos porque eu tinha que encontrar uma nova colocação. Então, depois de 3 meses de busca, desisti e decidi ir viajar sozinha. Decidi ir para um Ashram na Índia por 3 semanas. A minha primeira viagem sozinha, que seria de mudança pessoal e de vida!

De repente, algo aconteceu! Oito horas antes do meu voo, eu recebi um e-mail para uma entrevista de emprego, mas informei-os sobre o meu estado actual de estava a caminho do aeroporto. Eles concordaram em ter a entrevista logo que eu regressasse da minha viagem.

Durante o meu tempo no Ashram na Índia, toda a minha atitude em relação a minha vida actual mudou. Passei 3 semanas sem stresse, relaxada e eu percebi então um monte de coisas de que eu não estava ciente antes. Regressei uma pessoa totalmente nova, tive a tal entrevista e consegui o emprego em uma das mais conceituadas e melhores empresas de todo o mundo para a minha linha de trabalho, onde eu trabalhei durante 6 anos.

O meu milagre diário? Foi perceber que se aquela situação não tivesse acontecido (por pior que tivesse sido!) e eu não tivesse sido se despedida, eu talvez não teria tido a oportunidade de visitar esse lugar sereno na Índia, para me encontrar e logo de seguida fazer o trabalho certo para mim! Esse milagre aconteceu por uma razão! :)

Você gostou desta história e quero compartilhar a sua? Basta enviá-lo para blogamniotico@gmail.com :)

amniotico

Sónia is the founder and writer of Amniotico- Parenting, Travel and Tales. She began this blog in 2005 with two posts about parenting, the year she had daughter Francisca. Then life happened. Now since 2014 with a whole new focus on Parenting and Travel. Sonia is also an international Human Rights and Elections expert and as such has worked with the United Nations and European Union in many parts of the globe, including conflict and war torn countries while being a single mom!