I'm 39 today and it's time to make a real change now!





They say the thirties are the new twenties, and that therefore the forties will be the new thirties. But this to me is all rubbish, because age depends on one's spirit. My problem is that I have an old soul. And I don't mean it with regret, of someone who sees everything negatively or old-fashioned, heavy and out of time. What I mean is that I have always lived everything from a very matured perspective, Let me explain:  at 18 years old, I found myself too old to attend ballet classes for adults and so I gave up; at 23, I though I was too old to learn ou to surf; at 28, when I got pregnant, I found myself too old so that after pregnancy I could resume my career (which I did btw!); and since I became 30, I found refuge of myself in motherhood, work and everything that would occupy my mind from what really made my mind anxious, so I grew older mentally. On the other hand, despite this feeling, I feel younger than I am. Confusing, is it not? This confusion gets me anxious, and so I seek balance.

This is not to say that  I did not have my moments, I became a mom, I traveled, I ventured, I flirted and lived, but my restless soul have sometimes tortured me and my ego has kept me often hostage to fear and lack of some self love. Not that I feel less capable, not in that sense, but in the sense of caring for myself, my spirit of wind that blows sometimes like a soft and gentle breeze and other times as a whip, or just to take care of the temple that is my body. I was always busy being a single parent, a sister, a daughter and a friend, especially when my mother passed away and everyone around me were feeling lost. Engaged as I could in work to be truly independent and release myself from the feeling of being a burden to others.

I have dated and flirted but I have not loved. This is perhaps what most frightens me, to realize that I have not loved over the past ten years. I have locked myself and I took refuge in the false sensation of independence, but actually I have been running away from love and from suffering for love.

I recently found someone, but it did not work. However, I can tell myself that for the first time  I took a chance and a leap of faith. This was another step in the metamorphosis that I am going through, since I felt an epiphany when I was still in Burundi. But this has been slow and sometimes painful, sometimes happy and looking forward to the future.

Today when I weighed myself for the first time in a long time, I faced my fear of the truth from what I have been running away and finally I have put a number on how I feel. 82 kilos! I have never weighed so much in my life, and I want my body to rediscover my true self. I want to be an example of health and truth for my daughter, because if I have led so far this family by example, this must change. My daughter is about to enter pre-teen, years, and I want her to see a mother who not only speaks but also acts upon. How can she look at her mother as an independent woman on one hand, but on the other as a dependent woman on fear? And this fear leads to not taking care of myself? What message is this? So confusing and meaningless I'm passing through?

This post marks a change in myself and in this is my diary that is this blog, now at 39 and 82 kilos, I say enough!

Today, after Concha our  four paws love ate all my breakfast while I took Francisca to school, I thought this is it. It is a sign. Now is my time to take care of myself. Now, I too!

Francisca and I 2013


Dizem que os trinta são os novos vinte e que por conseguinte os quarenta serão os novos trinta. Mas isto para mim são balelas, porque a idade esta mesmo no espírito de cada um. O meu problema é ter uma alma velha. E não o digo com pesar, de quem vê tudo de forma negativa ou antiquada, pesada e fora de tempo. O que eu digo é que sempre vivi tudo de uma forma muito madura, passo a explicar: com 18 anos achava-me velha demais para andar no ballet para adultos e acabei por desistir, aos 23 achava-me velha demais para aprender a surfar, aos 28 quando engravidei achava-me velha demais para que depois da gravidez recomeçar a carreira (no entanto fi-lo!), e ao longo dos trinta fui fugindo refugiando-me na maternidade, no trabalho e tudo que ocupasse a minha mente do que realmente me ansiava o espírito, então fui envelhecendo mentalmente. Por outro lado, apesar deste sentimento, sinto-me mais nova do que sou. Confuso, não é? Esta confusão deixa-me ansiosa e é o equilibrio que procuro.

Não quer dizer que não tenha tido os meus momentos, fui mãe, viajei, arrisquei, flirtei e vivi, mas a minha alma inquieta por vezes tem me torturado, e o meu ego tem-me mantido muitas vezes refém do medo e na falta de algum amor próprio. Não que me sinta menos capaz, não nesse sentido mas no sentido de cuidar mais de mim, do meu espírito de vento que sopra umas vezes como uma brisa suave e meiga e outras como um chicote, ou cuidar do templo que é o meu corpo. Ocupada que estive sempre em ser mãe solteira, ser irmã, filha e amiga, principalmente quando a minha mãe partiu e todos a minha volta estavam a naufragar. Ocupada em ter trabalho para ser verdadeiramente independente e deixar de me sentir um peso para os outros. 

Namorei e flirtei, mas não amei. Este é talvez o que mais me assusta no que não vivi ao longo dos últimos dez anos. Fechei-me e refugiei-me na falsa sensação de independência, mas na verdade tenho vindo a fugir de voltar a amar e de voltar a sofrer por amor. 

Recentemente encontrei alguém, mas não resultou. No entanto posso dizer a mim própria que pela primeira vez arrisquei e dei um salto de Fé. Esta foi mais um passo na metamorfose que estou a viver desde que senti uma epifania ainda estava no Burundi.  Mas esta a ser lenta e as vezes dolorosa, outras vezes feliz e ansiosa para o que ai vem. 

Hoje quando me pesei pela primeira vez em muito tempo, enfrentei o meu medo da verdade que andava sempre a fugir e finalmente coloquei um numero em como me sinto. 82 quilos! Nunca pesei tanto na minha vida, e quero que o meu corpo se reencontre com o meu eu verdadeiro. Quero ser um exemplo de saúde e verdade para a minha filha, porque se em tudo liderei esta família por exemplo isto tem que mudar. Esta a entrar na pré-adolescencia e quero que veja a mãe que não só fala mas que também faz. Como é que ela pode olhar para uma mãe tão independente por um lado, mas que do outro esta uma mulher dependente do medo? E que esse medo leva a não cuidar de si mesma? Que mensagem é esta tão confusa e sem sentido que estou a passar?

Este post marca uma mudança em mim e neste meu diário que é este blog, hoje com 39 e 82 quilos, digo chega! 

Hoje, depois da Concha a nossa patuda ter comido o meu pequeno-almoço enquanto levei a Francisca a escola, pensei é isto. Foi mais um sinal. Agora é o meu momento, para cuidar de mim. Agora, eu também!


 |Now down the memory lane on some of my 39 years on this earth|

I and mom, Sao Martinho do Porto...80s


1987
Petra, Jordan 2004
2005, I and a baby bump

2011, Lisbon

2012, Bujagos Guinea Bisau


Francisca's Baptism, 2007

Ballet 2010



Us two 2015 in Paris
Top Photo* I at 10
Originally posted by the 11/04/2016

amniotico

Sónia is the founder and writer of Amniotico- Parenting, Travel and Tales. She began this blog in 2005 with two posts about parenting, the year she had daughter Francisca. Then life happened. Now since 2014 with a whole new focus on Parenting and Travel. Sonia is also an international Human Rights and Elections expert and as such has worked with the United Nations and European Union in many parts of the globe, including conflict and war torn countries while being a single mom!