A leap of Faith



I am a pseudo blogger. Never publishing when I say, or when I should. I have many ideas, many thoughts and many posts go through my head. Sometimes while driving, or while cooking or doing anything that seems more urgent at the time. There really is always something that seems more immediate. But then I think, I really like both writing and sharing, and I ought to really make this a priority. Even if it is only to help me with my own mental sanity.

So, here we go, what the hell are we doing these days? The puppy Concha is in Portugal, temporarily because she is part of the family and without one we are not a trio. Francisca is in Paris, in a new school full of boys and girls who also are starting something new. I? I am in what will be my last mission for Democracy around the world. My adventure is now another! Our family, and some projects that fill my soul, and I hope, pay the bills!

This is because I reached a conclusion: Life is too short for so much stress, and while there is health, there is everything else. Lesson I learned while my mother was departing little by little, one day at a time, and arrived at this same conclusion herself. Eight years after her departure, sometimes I also forget, and immediately life takes full force. Bills to pay, a school for the daughter, vaccines for the puppy, bills that sometimes accumulate, work and projects that do not always appear when we want or need. I did not even found time for love! The passion type, you know ?! Fear cames over me, will  I be able, will I have the courage? Normally, I have the courage to venture out for strange lands, but what about take a real leap of faith? Believing and jumping with eyes closed while holding hands with my daughter, betting on something that has been there in front of me all along, but that out of fear I pushed, deferred, postponed .... avoided.

When this happens, there I go on a mission again, one month, two months and three months as now. All in the end, to come to the conclusion that although I love what I do, this is no longer a passion and no longer fills my expectations. Oddly enough, right now when I have the contract I wanted. Crazy, right? But being away from my daughter has to be worth financially, but not only. Right now it is not what hangs in the balance for me. Now, other things are much more important and more urgent.

Per year, since she was four years old, I travel on average one to up to two months then the rest of the year I'm with her all the time. All the time. If one does the math, and compares it with the time other mothers and fathers spend with their kids, with work, traffic, leisure etc. I'm pretty sure, I still spend more time with her than the general rule these days.

But this is not enough, childhood is a short period and so is unconditional love which children have for their parents. From about ten years old, we have to begin to deserve that same love, it is no longer no matter what. It is not guaranteed. And sometimes it's not forever. When looking at the children of friends who have the same work as me, I see that the love is there, but not the complicity, and sometimes there is bitterness for not having had their parents more present at certain times of their lives.

The last time I abdicated of a career for my daughter, I was sure of my path, this time is slightly different because unlike when I got pregnant, I now know what I want and the baggage is heavier. With more knowledge and some wisdom. Hopefully!

I want to be always present, as I always was despite all the travelling, but I want to be there for a whole series of new steps in her life. I want to guarantee that that piece of her heart that is mine will never shrink and that is mine forever, as my love is hers unconditionally. So, Paris it is. 

Soon I will share more, when I myself have more certainties and news. And cheer for me please, for to take a leap of Faith is not as easy as it sounds !!


Paris July 2015


|Um salto de Fé|

Sou uma pseudo blogger. Nunca publico quando digo, ou quando devia. Tenho muitas ideias, muitos pensamentos e muitos posts passam pela minha cabeça. Ás vezes enquanto conduzo, ou cozinho ou faço qualquer coisa que me parece mais urgente. Realmente há sempre qualquer coisa que me parece mais imediata. Mas depois penso, que gosto tanto de escrever e partilhar e que quero muito, mas muito fazer disto uma prioridade. Nem que seja para me ajudar na minha sanidade mental.

Então vamos a isto, o que raio andamos a fazer? A puppy Concha está em Portugal, temporariamente porque é da familia e sem uma não somos um trio, a Francisca está em Paris numa escola nova e cheia de meninos e meninas que tambem estão a começar algo de novo. Eu? Eu estou naquela que será a minha ultima missão em prol da Democracia pelo mundo. A minha aventura agora é outra! A nossa família e uns projectos que me enchem a alma, e espero que dê também para pagar as contas! 

Isto porque cheguei a uma conclusão: A vida é curta de mais para tanto stress, e enquanto há saúde, há tudo o resto. Lição que aprendi enquando a minha mãe partia ao poucos, um dia cada vez, e chegava à esta mesma conclusão ela mesma. Oito anos depois da sua partida, por vezes esqueço também, e a vida imediata toma força. Contas para pagar, escola para a filha, vacinas para a cadela, contas que por vezes se acumulam, trabalho e projectos que nem sempre aparecem quando queremos ou precisamos. Eu nem sequer tive tempo para o amor! Daquele de paixao, sabem?! O medo tomou conta de mim, serei capaz, terei coragem? Coragem tenho para me aventurar por terras estranhas, mas e dar um salto verdadeiro de Fé? Acreditar e saltar de olhos fechados de mãos dadas com a minha filha, e apostar em algo que tem estado ali mesmo à minha frente, mas que por medo tenho empurrado, adiado, protelado....evitado.

Quando assim é, lá vou de missão outra vez, um mês, dois meses e agora três meses. Tudo para chegar à conclusão de que apesar de adorar o que faço, já não é uma paixão e já não me enche as medidas. Estranho, logo agora que tenho o contracto que queria. Há coisas incriveis, não há? Mas, estar longe da minha filha tem de valer mesmo a pena finaceiramente e não só. Mas agora já nem é isso que pesa na balança. Agora pesam outras coisas, muito mais importantes e muito mais urgentes.

Por ano, desde os seus 4 anos, viajo em média um a dois meses, depois o resto do ano estou com ela o tempo inteiro. Inteiro. Se fizer as contas e comparar com outras mães e pais, com tempos de trabalho, trânsito, tempos livres etc tenho quase a certeza que mesmo assim ainda passo mais tempo com ela do que a regra hoje em dia.

Mas não chega, a infância é curta e acho que com ela fica o amor incondicional que os filhos têm aos pais. A partir de cerca dos dez anos, temos que começar a merecer esse mesmo amor, já não é o não importa o quê. Já não é garantido. E ás vezes não é para sempre. Ao olhar para filhos de amigos e amigas que têm a mesma vida que eu, o amor está lá, mas a cumplicidade nem sempre, e por vezes o rancôr de não terem tido lá os pais em certos momentos de suas vidas.

A última vez que abdiquei de uma carreira pela minha filha, apesar de tudo tive a certeza do meu caminho, desta vez é ligeiramente diferente porque ao contrário de quando engravidei, agora sei o que quero e a bagagem está mais pesada. De conhecimento e alguma sabedoria. Espero!

Eu quero estar sempre presente, como sempre estive apesar das viagens, Mas quero estar para toda uma série de novas etapas que se avizinham. Quero garantir que aquele pedaço do seu coração que é meu nunca pederá terreno e que é meu para sempre, tal como o meu amor é seu incondicionalmente. Paris aqui vamos!!

Brevemente conto mais, quando eu própria tiver mais certezas e novidades. E torçam por mim, porque isto de dar saltos de Fé não é tão fácil como parece!!

Burundi, Setembro 2015


Top photos *Lake Tanganiyka (Burundi), Epiphany moment September 2015 by the 7/09/2015

amniotico

Sónia is the founder and writer of Amniotico- Parenting, Travel and Tales. She began this blog in 2005 with two posts about parenting, the year she had daughter Francisca. Then life happened. Now since 2014 with a whole new focus on Parenting and Travel. Sonia is also an international Human Rights and Elections expert and as such has worked with the United Nations and European Union in many parts of the globe, including conflict and war torn countries while being a single mom!