We are enough



When I became a mother of a girl in 2005, my life turned around 180 degrees. I was a single mother, and I was a purist, because I took it all alone from zero. No stress, no dilemmas or dramas, I was a mother, it was all right and that was enough. I was happy, very happy. Never looking back, not even to the fact of having given up a career that looked promising, and having to abdicate of opportunities that do not appear often during our lives. Conscious, I decided to opt for a dream, paying the price of having to give up of another. At the time with the support of my family, I owned it, I owned it all. Free from prejudice or false modesty where being single would only be a small detail. When I first saw her, I felt so full, so complete and as I watched over my baby girl I felt that for each other, we were enough. Enough.
After studying for years in the United Kingdom, and having been raised by liberal parents I was not the typical single mother. Maybe sometimes I may have forced it a bit, but I did not want to be associated with other single mothers who spend their entire lives licking their own wounds while forgetting their own children. Maybe I was being too biased but it was what I felt then, a pretty much what I feel now. Acting as victims, take the power away from ourselves and that does not help single mothers at all in any way. If anything, it makes us even more vulnerable by minimizing our capability, resilience and the ability to overcome harsh moments. Maybe in my case it helped that I have never had any feeling towards her father. And yet, I was so grateful for this man for giving me the best gift I could ever get, my daughter. 



Honestly, I never understood the fixation for the nuclear family, I understand and accept that it may be a good thing to have someone to share the problems, joys with. But nowadays with diverse types of families such as: single parents, rainbow and numerous families etc. But also, I do not understand the fixation that some people have in the need to say to a single mother 'Everyone needs a dad!' especially when they know that it does not depend on only one side of the story. Or maybe it does. It depends on how we raise and educate our children, if every day one shows the unhappiness and self-victimization day after day, there is no child in the world that can withstand a father or a mother with a such miserable spirit who thinks only for themselves and forget that the child is a blank sheet. And that everything is printed in their souls, staying there forever. The good and the bad. Forever. In our case we have been always happy, even when things were not going well with my professional life. When I had to resort to my parents for help or to work below my work experience. Even in my worst phase, I made my daughter a priority. I have made our happiness, a priority. The money in the bank never set the amount of our happiness, nor my professional status. For the good and for the bad.
The truth however, was that in 2009 and almost four years since becoming a mother, I wondered if I would ever go back to work on my field. After all, my area would take me again to exotic and sometimes complicated destinations . I was not happy professionally, but I was almost resigned. I was having one of those days when the phone rang and on the other side a voice claiming to be from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, stated that he was trying to talk to me for a few days. I did not hear anything. What? 'We need to know if you are available for the electoral observation mission in Afghanistan. You have a week to prepare! '. (Pause) 'Yes I' answered without thinking well 'Very well the European Commission will contact you today.'



After turning off that call, my daughter almost four years old then, came home from school. I watched her while she was playing and thought to myself about what it meant accepting this challenge, the risks involved but also the benefits. I had to accept, even if I wanted, I could not refuse because besides being a dream, financially it would also be great for both of us. But I would be in Afghanistan, and away from her for two months. Finally I accepted , I knew that in my absence my family would be there, with love for my daughter and for me. 

Some days later, I left to do what they I had to do. My heart shrunked, just one day after celebrating with her her fourth birthday. Gave her a kiss, and then I smelled her while she was sleeping and then off I went.


For five days I had, with other colleagues, a security training. I saw and reviewed images of war, learnt about roadside bombs, kidnappings, what is a proof of life, etc and I questioned myself, 'where the hell did I put myself into? What was I thinking? '. The group was excited and quite accustomed to these wanderings. and was never condescending with this mother who have just now joined the group. After all, before becoming a mother I had already international experience. When in Kabul, I found myself on a jeep on the way to the hotel surrounded by more jeeps full of policemen and a 'carnival' that I had only seen related to state figures. I confess, I was scared. When at the Intercontinental hotel, in a decadent environment similar to the ones seen in movies about Vietnam, I opened the window and the dusty curtains revealed a monochrome city full of dust as a series of American helicopters flew above the hotel. I was in a war zone. What the hell was I doing there ?? I cried.

Strange as it may seem, Afghanistan turned out to be a surprise for me. In Herat, I discovered an Afghanistan with good people, an ancient culture, intense smells, but also extreme poverty and sharp inequalities. I found strong and resilient women, some single mothers or widows who now (in 2009) were provincial candidates. Some threatened daily. I survived, with my colleagues, a rocket attack on the base of the United Nations where I was based, and a bomb threat at a home of a member of the electoral commission. But above all rediscovered myself. I rediscovered my skills, I found my peers and my passion for international politics and human rights. I saw myself and I liked what I saw.
From that moment on, this has been our life, doing international consultancies which lead me away from home.


Embracing projects which take me away from my daughter, because I made the decision above all, to guarantee that my daughter would never lack anything to have a healthy and happy life. A decision that many mothers have taken in recent years for professional reasons, in an imperative form, such are the needs of families these days, especially of single parents. But above all, that I would teach her by example, that one woman is capable of anything, as long as we put our commitment and heart to it.
Me and my daughter, we have an amniotic relationship dominated by love and complicity. Decisions are taken by the two of us, and we talk about everything honestly without infatilizing reality. It's not easy being away from those we love the most, but the way we offset this absence is essentially made of real times spent together. Real moments which are not picture perfect, but unique.

For years, many people questioned this life choice of mine. As if I, and other mothers, we are eccentric, or just 'crazy' just because our lifestyle is different. The truth is that at 9 years old, Francisca has creased qualities for her age. Empathy and understanding for the things of life, sees the difference in the other naturally and embraces the new. She knows that nothing falls from the sky, and that now, right now in South Sudan, there is a conflict that many call a slow genocide. It has a general culture above average, and yes she knows what a genocide is. She also knows that life is sometimes strange, but we must see things always on the positive side. And in the end, we are together, well and we are enough.
Sometimes, I do feel some guilt, because I love what I do and I'm away many times following my own dream. I never felt pushed, perhaps initially. And on the agenda, are never projects longer than two months and where I may be able to take my daughter. It has happened a few times and thus she has seen a piece of this land. However, for the long term is more difficult because over time I became good at what I do in risky countries. Good adaptation to stress bla bla bla. Result: I get calls to join situations where I can not take my small family with me. It is not easy and sometimes I get fed up and say: enough! ... I Want to be with her ALL THE TIME and I want her to see the world with me! But field work calls often ... and when I'm in countries in Africa, for example, the color of the land, the smells, the smiles, the adrenaline ... but it's her, that beautiful little person who is my highest calling. For her, I do everything, and I am everything. Even if sometimes I have to get away for a little bit ... on the other hand, when I'm with Francisca, I'm 100%. My daughter looks at me and hopefully sees someone who is a person who is not shy with challenges nor is it defined by labels. If I am her nearest example, albeit not being perfect, I want to be the best I can.


| Somos os Suficiente|

Quando me tornei mãe de uma menina em 2005, a minha vida deu uma volta de 180º. Tornei-me mãe solteira, costumo dizer em tom de brincadeira - purista- porque desde o momento zero assumi tudo sózinha. Sem stress, sem dilemas ou dramas era mãe, e estava tudo certo e era o que bastava. Estava feliz. Nunca mais olhei para trás, nem para o facto de ter abdicado de uma carreira que parecia promissora, de ter abdicado de oportunidades que não aparecem muitas vezes durante as nossas vidas. Consciente, tomei a decisão de optar por um sonho, pagando o preço de ter que abdicar de outro. Na altura com o apoio da minha família, assumi tudo de uma forma bem despoeirada e livre. Livre principalmente de preconceito, ou falsos pudores, onde ser solteira seria só um pequeno detalhe. Mesmo. Quando a vi pela primeira vez senti-me tão plena, tão completa e enquanto a observava senti que uma para a outra, éramos o suficiente. O suficiente.

Após ter estudado anos em Inglaterra, e tendo sido criado por pais liberais q.b.. Não era a típica mãe solteira. Talvez tenha algumas vezes forçado isso, não queria estar associada a outras mães solteiras que passam a vida a lamber as feridas e a esquecerem os filhos. Talvez eu também estivesse a ser preconceituosa mas era o que sentia. Sermos vitimas tira-nos o poder e não nos ajuda em nada. Dá-nos mais vulnerabilidade e minimiza o poder de capacidade, resiliência e superação que muitas famílias mono-parentais têm. Talvez tenha ajudado o facto de eu não ter tido nunca nenhum sentimento pelo seu pai. E no entanto estava tão grata, por este homem me ter dado o melhor presente de sempre, a minha filha. Nunca entendi sinceramente a fixação pela família nuclear, compreendo e aceito que deve bom ter alguém com quem partilhar os problemas, as alegrias etc. Ainda para mais com os mais diversos tipos de famílias, desde as monoparentais, coloridas e numerosas etc e tal. Como também não entendo a fixação que algumas pessoas sentem em ter de dizer a uma mãe solteira 'o pai faz muita falta!' principalmente quando sabem que isso não depende só de uma parte. Se calhar faz. Depende de como educamos os nossos filhos, se todos os dias passarmos a infelicidade e a auto-vitimização para os nossos filhos, não há filho que aguente um pai ou uma mãe miserável de espírito que só pensa em si e que esquece que aquela criança é uma folha em branco. Que tudo fica impresso na sua alma. O bom e o mau. Para sempre. No nosso caso sempre fomos felizes, mesmo quando as coisas não me corriam muito bem no campo profissional. Quando tive que recorrer aos meus pais para ajuda e a trabalhos abaixo da minha experiência. Mesmo nas minhas piores fases, fiz da minha filha a prioridade. Fiz da nossa felicidade prioridade. O valor no banco nunca nos definiu, nem o meu estatuto profissional. Para o bem e para mal.

A verdade no entanto, é que passados quase quatro anos desde que fora mãe, eu questionava-me se alguma vez iria voltar a trabalhar na minha área. Afinal a minha área levaria-me de novo para destinos exóticos e por vezes complicados. Não estava feliz, mas estava quase resignada. Um dia daqueles de neura, o telefone tocou e do outro lado uma voz que dizia ser do Ministério dos Negócios estrangeiros, afirmava estar a tentar falar comigo já há alguns dias. Não percebi nada. O quê? 'Precisamos de saber se está disponível para a missão de observação eleitoral no Afeganistão. Tem uma semana para se preparar!'. (Pausa) 'Sim estou' respondi sem pensar muito bem no que me estava a alistar. 'Muito bem a Comissão Europeia entrará em contacto consigo ainda hoje'.
Após desligar aquela chamada, a minha filha de quase quatro anos (faria exactamente um dia antes de partir de viagem) chegou da escola. Observei-a enquanto brincava e pensei no significava aceitar este desafio, o risco que corria mas também os benefícios. Tinha que aceitar, mesmo que eu quisesse não podia recusar além de ser um sonho, financeiramente também seria excelente para ambas. Mas iria estar no Afeganistão, e longe dela durante dois meses. Aceitei, sabia que na minha ausência a minha família iria estar lá presente, com amor para a minha filha. 


Uns dias depois parti então para fazer o que tinha que fazer. O meu coração bem apertadinho, um dia depois de celebrar consigo os seu quatro aninhos. Dei-lhe um beijo, cheirei-a enquanto dormia e lá fui.
Durante cinco dias tive com os restantes colegas uma preparação de segurança. Vi e revi imagens de guerra, o que acontece com bombas de beira de estrada, com raptos, o que é uma prova de vida, etc e tal e eu questionava-me ' para onde raio é que eu vou? onde estás com a cabeça?'. O grupo era animado e bastante habituado a estas andanças. Nunca foram condescendentes com esta mãe que agora também se juntava ao grupo. Afinal antes de ser mãe já tinha tido experiência internacional. Quando em Cabul, vi-me dentro de um jipe a caminho do hotel rodeada de jipes cheios de policias e um 'carnaval' que só tinha visto para figuras de estado. Confesso estava assustada. Quando no hotel Intercontinental, senti que estava num ambiente decandente que só vira em filmes sobre o Vietnam. Abri a janela, os cortinados empoeirados revelaram uma cidade monocromática cheia de pó e do nada uma serie de helicopetros Americanos passavam por cima do hotel. Estava num cenário de guerra. O que raio fazia ali?? Chorei.
Por mais estranho que possa parecer, o Afeganistão acabou por se revelar uma surpresa para mim. Em Herat descobri um Afeganistão com gente boa, uma cultura milenar, cheiros intensos, mas também pobreza extrema e desigualdades acentuadas. Descobri mulheres fortes e resilientes, algumas mães solteiras ou viúvas que agora (em 2009) eram candidatas provinciais. Algumas ameaçadas diariamente. Sobrevivi com os meus colegas a uma ataque de rockets à base da Nações Unidas onde estava a viver, e a uma ameaça de bomba em casa de uma membro da comissão eleitoral. Mas acima de tudo redescobri-me. Redescobri as minhas capacidades, encontrei os meus pares de trabalho e a minha paixão por política internacional e direitos humanos. Encontrei-me e gostei do que vi.

A partir desse momento esta tem sido a nossa vida, faço consultorias onde me levam para longe.
Abraço projectos que me levam para longe da minha filha, porque tomei a decisão de acima de tudo, iria garantir que a minha filha nunca iria sentir falta de nada para ter uma vida saudável e feliz. Uma decisão, que muitas mães têm nos últimos anos tomado por motivos profissionais, de forma imperativa tal são as necessidades das famílias actualmente, principalmente as monoparentais. Mas também que iria ensina-la através do exemplo que ela será capaz de tudo, no que colocar o seu empenho e coração.

Eu e a minha filha temos uma relação amniótica onde impera o amor e a cumplicidade. As decisões são tomadas a duas, e fala-se sobre tudo de forma honesta e sem infantilizar a realidade. Não é fácil estar longe de quem mais amamos nesta vida, mas a forma como compensamos essa ausência é feito essencialmente de momentos. Momentos reais, que não são momentos para a fotografia, mas momentos a duas, de muita cumplicidade únicos e irrepetiveis.

Por vezes sinto alguma culpa pois amo o que faço e vou para longe muita vezes seguindo o meu sonho. Nunca me senti empurrada, talvez inicialmente. Na agenda nunca estão projectos mais longos que dois meses, e se possível que possa levar a minha filha. Já aconteceu, algumas vezes e assim já conheceu um pedaço de terra. No entanto a longo termo é mais dificil, pois com o tempo tornei-me boa naquilo que faço em países de risco e situações periclitantes. Boa adaptação ao stress bla bla bla. Resultado: cada vez me chamam mais me para situações onde não posso levar a minha pequena família. Não é fácil e por vezes fico farta, e digo chega!...quero estar TODO o tempo com ela e quero que conheça o mundo, comigo! Mas o terreno chama muitas vezes...e quando estou em países em África, por exemplo, a cor da terra, os cheiros, os sorrisos, a adrenalina... Mas é ela, aquela pessoinha linda que é o meu maior chamado. Por ela faço tudo, e sou tudo. Mesmo que às vezes tenha que me afastar por um bocadinho...por outro lado, quando estou com a Francisca, estou a 100%. A minha filha olha para mim e, espero, que veja alguém que é uma pessoa que não se acanha com desafios nem se deixa definir por rótulos. Se sou o seu exemplo mais próximo, não sendo perfeita quero ser o melhor que posso.
Neste anos, muitas pessoas questionam esta minha escolha de vida. Como se eu e outras mães, fossemos excêntricas, ou umas 'grandes malucas' só porque o nosso estilo de vida é diferente. A verdade é que com 9 anos, a Francisca tem qualidades vincadas para a sua idade. Uma empatia e compreensão para as coisas da vida, vê a diferença nos outros com naturalidade e abraça o novo e desconhecido. Sabe que nada cai do céu, e que agora neste preciso momento no Sudão do Sul, existe um conflicto que muitos chamam de um lento genocídio. Tem uma cultura geral acima da média, e sim sabe o que é um genocídio. Também sabe que a vida é por vezes estranha, mas há que ver as coisas sempre do lado positivo. E que no final, estamos juntas, estamos bem e somos o suficiente.

amniotico

Sónia is the founder and writer of Amniotico- Parenting, Travel and Tales. She began this blog in 2005 with two posts about parenting, the year she had daughter Francisca. Then life happened. Now since 2014 with a whole new focus on Parenting and Travel. Sonia is also an international Human Rights and Elections expert and as such has worked with the United Nations and European Union in many parts of the globe, including conflict and war torn countries while being a single mom!