Daily Miracle: A whole life ahead

Sofia Vieira co-author of the blog Pais com P Grande (Parents with capital P)

The first time, I heard of Sofia of the blog Pais com P Grande (Parents with Capital P) was through the Portuguese Foundation Fundação Gil, for which they fund raised nearly 500€! I was curious, the post stated that they with the children were traveling throughout Portugal, taking with them the foundation's mascot, Baby Gil (See here). I visited their Facebook page and then the blog, and from then on I never left them out of sight! Whoever follows them, follows the adventure of the Portuguese Sofia the mother, French born Quentin the father, Gabriela the five year old daughter, Tiago the two year old son, Aloha the four paws who luckily have crossed their paths, and of course Maria do Mar the RV (VW T3 Westfalia 1989) with which they are discovering Portugal and beyond. On the road they provide several activity and creative workshops for families but not only. This is a family who have opted for domestic education, an alternative education that has gained in recent times more and more supporters, and that despite the criticism, when well done as is the case, results can be phenomenal.



Today's daily miracle is a cry for life, a cry for another chance in life, a cry of gratitude. An example, and a warning. Sofia's miracle became Sofia's choice, a reminder to all mothers who in their everyday lives try to make the most while juggling to do everything and anything, sometimes neglecting themselves. Is our health and happiness a priority? Are we living fulfilled lives? Are we really happy? What is missing? Sometimes through testimonies as Sofia's, we can put our own lives into perspective. As I say often, when we are truly happy, we raise happy children who will be self-assured  and prone to happiness adults.

This is the miracle of Sofia



'England, Maidenhead, April 2nd, 2012

I went to bed, assured that I would wake up the following morning. After all, that's what you do when you have a whole life ahead, right?

I was happy. Was one month away from a holiday in my country, about to get married on the beach with the man I so dearly loved. I had a 2 year old daughter with golden curls with a diamond heart. We lived on a big house with a huge garden, where a giant tree lived and every spring would present us with the most beautiful color pink flowers. I was the director of a kindergarten / Preschool which was part of one of the largest pre-school education companies in England. I loved my job and I was quite successful in it. My daughter attended the school where I worked, so she was always close to me. I also collaborated as a columnist with some magazines on child education and parenting. I had the world at my feet. Or so I thought. But that night, I was chosen.

I remember feeling a headache on the left side, but did not give it much importance. I turned my self up towards the ceiling. I felt something strange in my mouth, as if I was sitting on a dentist's chair being anesthetized. I tried to raise my arm to get my hand on my mouth, but my arm did not move. I thought I was dreaming, but I knew I was not. My husband was sound asleep beside me, I heard him breathe just there next to me, just inches away from my agony. I tried to call him, but nothing come out of my mouth.

At 31 years old I suffered from a beginning of a stroke. Miraculously, my body did not suffer any damage, but my soul was never the same- and I am glad for this.

After this event, I realized that the success of my career, was devouring my life. The work I loved so much, was trying to steal me from the people I loved and deeply cared for. At that moment, all was put in front of me and in to perspective. It was as if suddenly I awakened from a deep sleep. I thought my life was perfect, and for all those who watched it from outside, it was indeed. But in the midst of a career in which I was so in love, were an average of 11 hour of work per day. Countless of sleepless nights trying to resolve human resource issues, writing notes for team meetings, or wondering about a child who have ended up in hospital with a dislocated shoulder. Extra hours that brought me recognition from the board of directors of one of the most renowned schools of the company; but which stole me time to be a mother, time for my partner, time with friends, time for Sofia.

Surviving this episode was not only the miracle of that day. The miracle was realizing, with all my essence, that we never know if we have a whole life ahead of us.'

I hope it has inspired you! More to follow soon!

What is your Daily Miracle? Want to participate, tell us about something special that has happened to you, or that it happens daily? An epiphany? An Eureka ?? If so, send it to blogamniotico@gmail.com


Photo of and by Sofia Vieira

|O milagre diário da Sofia Vieira do blog Pais com P Grande|

A primeira vez que ouvi falar do blogue da Sofia Pais com P Grande, foi através da Fundação Gil para a qual angariaram quase 500€! Fiquei curiosa, dizia o post que andavam com os filhos a viajar por Portugal e levavam com eles o Baby Gil (Ver Aqui), a mascote da fundação. Visitei a página de Facebook e depois o blogue, e nunca mais os larguei de vista! Quem os segue, segue a aventura da Portuguesa Sofia a mãe, o pai 'camone' Francês Quentin, Gabriela a filha de 5 anos, Tiago o filho de 2 anos, a Aloha uma cadela com sorte pelos seus caminhos se terem cruzado e claro a Maria do Mar uma auto-caravana VW T3 Westfalia de 1989 com a qual têm descoberto em família Portugal e não só. Fazem diversos workshops por onde passam sobre actividades em familia mas não só. Um família que optou pela educação doméstica, uma educação alternativa que tem vindo a ganhar muitos adeptos e que apesar das criticas, quando bem feita como é o caso, os resultados podem ser fenomenais.

O milagre diário de hoje é um grito pela vida, um grito por mais uma oportunidade, um grito de gratidão. Um exemplo, e um alerta. O milagre da Sofia transformou-se na escolha de Sofia, é uma chamada de atenção para todas as mães que no quotidiano tentam fazer os mais diversos malabarismos para fazer tudo e mais alguma coisa, esquecendo por vezes de si próprias. A nossa saúde e a nossa felicidade são prioridade? Estaremos mesmo a viver vidas plenas? Seremos mesmo felizes? O que falta? Por vezes através de testemunhos como o da Sofia, podemos colocar as nossas próprias vidas em perspectiva. Como digo várias vezes, ao sermos felizes, criamos crianças felizes que serão adultos seguros e propensos à felicidade.

Este é o milagre da Sofia.

'Inglaterra, Maidenhead, 2 de Abril de 2012

Fui-me deitar com a certeza de que ia acordar. Afinal é isso que se faz quando se tem uma vida inteira pela frente, certo?

Era feliz. Estava a um mês de partir de férias para o meu país, para casar na praia com o homem que eu tanto amava. Tinha uma filha de 2 anos com caracóis de ouro e um coração de diamante. Vivíamos numa casa grande, com um enorme jardim, onde vivia uma árvore gigante que todas as Primaveras nos presenteava com as mais bonitas flores cor-de-rosa. Eu era directora num Jardim de Infância/Pré-escolar que fazia parte de uma das maiores companhias de educação pré-escolar na Inglaterra. Adorava o meu trabalho e era bem sucedida no que fazia. A minha filha frequentava a escolinha onde eu trabalhava, por isso tinha-a sempre perto de mim. Também colaborava, enquanto cronista, com algumas revistas sobre educação infantil e parentalidade. Tinha o mundo a meus pés. Ou pensava que tinha. Mas naquela noite fui escolhida.

Lembro-me de sentir uma dor de cabeça no lado esquerdo, mas não dei importância. Virei-me para cima. Senti qualquer coisa estranha na minha boca, como se tivesse sentada numa cadeira de dentista a ser anestesiada. Tentei levantar o braço para chegar com a mão à boca, mas o braço não mexeu. Pensei que estava  a sonhar, mas sabia que não estava. O meu marido dormia ao meu lado, eu ouvia-o respirar mesmo ali, a centímetros da minha agonia. Tentei chamá-lo, mas da minha boca não saíram palavras.

Aos 31 anos sofri um princípio de um AVC. Milagrosamente, não sofri qualquer dano no meu corpo, mas o meu espírito nunca mais voltou a ser o mesmo- e ainda bem.

Depois deste acontecimento, percebi que o sucesso da minha carreira, estava a devorar a minha vida. O trabalho que eu tanto gostava de fazer, estava a tentar roubar-me às pessoas que eu tanto amava. Naquele momento, tudo foi-me posto à frente e em perspectiva. Foi como se de repente acordasse de um sono profundo. Eu pensava que a minha vida era perfeita, e para quem assistia à mesma, era mesmo. Mas no meio de uma carreira pela qual eu era tão apaixonada, estavam uma média de 11h de trabalho por dia. Estavam noites e noites sem dormir a tentar resolver problemas de recursos humanos, a escrever  notas para a reunião de equipa, e a pensar na criança que foi parar ao hospital com o ombro deslocado. Horas extra que me traziam reconhecimento da direcção de uma das escolas mais bem conceituadas da companhia; mas que me tiravam tempo para ser mãe, tempo para ser companheira, tempo para ser amiga, tempo para ser Sofia. 

Sobreviver a este episódio não foi o milagre daquele dia. O milagre foi perceber, com toda a minha essência, que nunca sabemos se temos a vida pela frente.'

Espero que vos tenha inspirado! Mais virão a caminho!
Qual é o seu Milagre Diário? Quer participar para contar algum momento especial, que lhe tenha acontecido ou aconteça diariamente? Uma epifania? Uma Eureka? Se sim, envie para blogamniotico@gmail.com

amniotico

Sónia is the founder and writer of Amniotico- Parenting, Travel and Tales. She began this blog in 2005 with two posts about parenting, the year she had daughter Francisca. Then life happened. Now since 2014 with a whole new focus on Parenting and Travel. Sonia is also an international Human Rights and Elections expert and as such has worked with the United Nations and European Union in many parts of the globe, including conflict and war torn countries while being a single mom!